- Interlibrary Loan
We can locate and borrow books from other libraries. With 78 libraries throughout the province, free access is available to everyone.
- Who may use Interlibrary Services?
- Interlibrary Services are available to all Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library (PARL) cardholders.
- What can I request through Interlibrary Services?
- A wide range of materials available from lending libraries across Nova Scotia and Canada. If you require an alternative format for materials not available at PARL, such as large print books or audiobooks, these can be requested through interlibrary loan.
- What cannot be requested through Interlibrary Services?
- Items that are already owned by PARL. Please check our online catalogue before requesting materials through interlibrary loan. All requests are subject to availability and lending policies at the lending library.
- Is there a charge for Interlibrary Services?
- PARL does not charge a fee for interlibrary loan service. However, some libraries do charge a fee when sending out their materials. It is our policy to pass on these fees to the borrower and in all cases we contact the borrower to confirm they are willing to pay any necessary fees before going ahead with a request.
Borrowers are responsible for all materials borrowed on their library card. If materials are lost or damaged the borrower is responsible for all repair or replacement costs in accordance with the policies of the lending library.
- How long does it take?
- The time it takes to fulfill an interlibrary loan request varies widely depending on the availability of the materials. We review all requests in a timely manner.
- Where will the items I request be delivered?
- Wherever you like! Interlibrary loan materials can be picked up at any branch in our region or mailed to you if you are a Borrow By Mail borrower.
- How many items may I request?
- You may have up to three active interlibrary loan requests at a time. A request is considered active from the time it is received by the interlibrary loans staff until a borrowed item is received back in the interlibrary loans office.
- How long can I use materials received through Interlibrary Loan Services?
- The loan period for materials follows the policies of the lending region. For most print materials the lending period is three weeks. For audio and video collections the loan periods vary from one week to three weeks.
- Can I renew my Interlibrary Services materials?
- You may request an extension of the loan period by contacting your local branch. Staff must first request a renewal from the lending library. If the renewal is allowed, we will notify you with the new due date (determined by the lending library), which may be shorter or longer than the three-week lending period.
- How do I place a request?
- If the item you are looking for is available from another Nova Scotia Public Library, with the exception of Halifax Public Libraries, you may place your request through our online catalogue.
If the item is available elsewhere you can contact your local branch or our interlibrary loan service directly to make your request.
- Can I speak to someone for further assistance?
Yes! For questions about interlibrary loan services policies or concerning an active interlibrary request, please contact the interlibrary loan services staff at 902-755-6031.
(Borrow Anywhere Return Anywhere)! You can borrow from hundreds of libraries across the province, including public, community college and university libraries. Materials can be returned to any of the participating libraries. Find a list of participating libraries at: //librariesns.ca/content/bara