- Subject Resources
ancestry.ca accessible only within the library
The Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library provides patrons instant access to a wide range of unique resources for genealogical and historical research through the online database - ancestry.ca. Discover the world's largest family history resource - immigration records, vital records, census records, family histories, court records, church records, directories, photos, military records, passenger lists and more!
This resource is only available within our branch libraries. You are not able to access this database from home.
While in the library go to http://ancestrylibrary.proquest.com and start your search or ask our friendly library staff how to access the service.
Genealogy Research Tips
- List what you already know - start an ancestral chart
- Interview relatives - make family group sheets
- Get death records - death certificates, obituaries, etc. Then...
- Follow death-record clues - time/place of death lead to birth, marriage, other records.
- Search census records - learn where ancestors lived. Then...
- Search local sources - newspapers, local histories, property (land) maps, church records, wills, etc.
- Don't forget - family histories, immigration records, ship passenger lists, military records, cemetery records, etc.
For help in your research check out ProQuest's Quick User Guide (pdf) or help on how to search the database (pdf).